This may just be my favorite thing that I’ve shared on my Foodie Friday series. and that says a LOT because I only share my favorite recipes with
Scroll below for ingredients and directions!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 small can (15 oz) diced tomato with juices
- Large dash of cocoa powder
- Large dash of cinnamon
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can pinto beans, drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 to 2 tsp lime juice
- Heat oil in large dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering
- First, add the chopped onion, bell pepper, carrot, sweet potato and a pinch of your salt to the oven, stirring occasionally for 7 to 10 minutes until vegetables are tender
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, cinnamon
andcocoa powder and stir for 1 minute
- Next, add diced tomatoes (with the juices!), drained black and pinto beans and vegetable broth. Stir to combine and let mixture come to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove chili from heat.
- Mash a portion of the chili with a potato masher to get a more chili-like consistency.
- Add chopped cilantro and lime juice plus remaining salt and garnish as desired.
Although it is about to get warm in the Carolinas, I will continue to make this chili all year long. It’s easy, delicious and makes perfect leftovers.
I hope you enjoy!